Monday, January 3, 2011

home, home again

Back at my parents' house in Green Bay!

I'm having a good time. My parents' house seems like a palace compared to my tiny studio apartment. They have a dishwasher, so much food, laundry machines, cable & internet, multiple bedrooms ... it's like heaven, seriously!

Yesterday I flew out of Norman in the morning, and got to Milwaukee about four hours later. My sister and brother picked me up and by the time the Packer game started, I was home! It was great to have a home-cooked meal with my parents and watch movies together. Today I slept late, hung out with my little brother, and had dinner. Wonderful.

My brother and I went to Blackstone, the diner that was basically my second home when I was in high school. My friends and I would go there almost every day, and we'd just sit for hours drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and talking about anything and everything. I could walk into Blackstone anytime, and I'd always see a friend. It was really eerie to go back. Since the last time I visited GB, they passed a smoking ban. No longer does Blackstone reek of stale smoke; nor are there ashtrays on every table. Perhaps because of this, there was hardly anyone there! Even the veteran whom I swear was there 24/7 was absent. Super weird. It was one of those nasty old all-night diners, with the regulars and all. So it was really odd to go there and experience a completely different restaurant. Totally didn't match all the great memories I have from there.

As nice as it is to be in my hometown and see my family, I really miss Damien. We've been together pretty much every day since February. It's hard to not see him.


No comments:

Post a Comment