Thursday, February 3, 2011

snowpocalypse and other bullshit


There aren't very many things I love about Oklahoma, but this is one of them.

Once a year or so, there's a snowstorm. This year, it appears we got about ten inches in that storm. In the past, it's been less. So I joined the masses in the Snowklahoma ritual:
First, I faced the crowds at Walmart. When Damien and I entered the store, there were no carts waiting in that cart area. So we had to wait for the guy to bring in a train of them from outside. Not that I'm complaining, but that never happens! Wow! Walmart was also out of, or almost out of, onions, tomato sauce, eggs, and various other necessities. Frozen food section? Don't even try. I saw several friends and the CEO of Norman's YMCA (aka my Big Boss) shopping as well. Some people's carts were hilarious - yeah, the snowstorm will probably shut you in your house for a few days, but do you need 10 cartons of grape juice?

After that, we stopped at the liquor store so I could stock up on PBR and Burnett's Sweet Tea Vodka. Hey, if school and work are both cancelled, there is nothing stopping me from taking shots for breakfast.

After that, we went to Family Video to get Season 4 of "The Girls Next Door," some shitty horror movies, and "The Social Network." Great movie; even better the second time around.




So, with all our supplies, we hunkered down for the rest of the ritual: BECOMING A COMPLETE HERMIT FOR DAYS.

Tuesday: Damien acted like he was going to go to work, but then he got outside and realized there was no fucking way. See, we're all above everything because we're all cool and from Wisconsin, but Norman has probably 2 snowplows. This town is not prepared for winter weather. So there was no leaving. So we got high and slept for another five hours! Damien made chili and we ate it. We cleaned the apartment. Then spent the rest of the day watching "Girls Next Door" (Damien's new favorite show) and other movies.

Wednesday: Damien resigned himself to the fact that he would be taking another day off work. We ate more chili, watched more movies, and made cookies with our next door neighbor. The YMCA was closed too, so no work for me!

Today (Thursday): Damien made it to work, and I woke up pretty early (11 a.m.) to shower and make my way to the union so I could get INTERNET!

There are no classes tomorrow, either. I may mock Southerners for their lack of preparation and fear of winter weather, but they sure do know how to throw a snow day. This week has been really fun.

But for the record, I gotta say it: It is not "Snowpocalypse," "Icepocalypse," "Snowmageddon" or any of the other creative doomsday names people can slap on it.

Bitch, where I'm from, it's called winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment