Wednesday, December 29, 2010

this too shall pass


My truck has been fixed, and it didn't even cost as much as I thought it would. Now, the ride is smooth and noiseless (well, except for the Mumford & Sons in the CD player). I know that I can get home from work without having to walk or grovel to the few friends who are still in town. Thank goodness.

So here I am, happy and relieved. I'm thinking about the post I wrote yesterday. I was so depressed and dramatic. When I have money problems, I just feel so hopeless. The problem seems to be so much bigger than life, and I can never see an end to how hard it is. Everything feels so scary, and I panic.

But then - just like that - everything is resolved. The guys at the auto shop fixed our sweet Roxanne, and it wasn't very expensive to fix. All the stress and anguish I felt yesterday just drifted off of me like smoke.

It reminds me of what my parents always say to me when I'm having a hard time with something.

"This too shall pass."

I can't even count how many times I've heard that phrase from my mom and dad. Even my siblings say it to me sometimes, and I've caught myself repeating it to others as well. It's one of those homegrown sayings that just stick with you - like my dad telling me every day before school when I was growing up, "Make it a good day."


My parents are so supportive of me, and so wise. If I'm struggling, the first phone call I make is home. Just so someone else can tell me what I'm too panicked to tell myself: "This too shall pass."

Those four words never feel more true than right after a crisis has been managed or resolved. And now, as I breathe a sigh of relief, I know for sure that everything in life does pass. For now, I am calm. I hope it lasts.

But like the bad times, the good times, too, shall pass. I'll just have to wait and see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment